« Back to All Topics
SEVERAL FLAWS WITH GAME...NEED YOUR HELP
Posted in 
Billiards
Posted in 
Billiards
i can see 3 major flaws with this game although is is still enjoyable to play i think they should be sorted out.

1....BALLS MOVING ON THEIR OWN.......
     if you play the game i'm sure you will have noticed when a player has taken his shot and the balls come to rest and its your shot and your about to go for that ball he left over the pocket and suddenly from nowhere fod decides to move the balls around....pffff....this needs looking into.

2....BALLS POCKETED BY FOD......
     i've been playing this for about a year now and this has only been happening recently (for me anyway).my opponent took a shot and missed by some considerable margin yet suddenly the ball dissapeared and got added to his break (very annoying).this also needs sorting out.

3....DELIBERATE FOULS.....
     this is a pain in the a... . when snookered the player in play should be going for the object ball but instead they just play the white ball into a space. this is for 2 reasons...to minimise the loss of points i.e if the object ball is close to the black instead of giving 7 points away with a bad shot they only give 4 away..and secondly to controll where they leave the white so the opponent has'nt as good a chance of carrying on and defeating them.... please note this is also used by some players to prolong a match that they have lost just to annoy their opponent...i have in fact had it happen to me and have seen a ridiculous score of something like 287-15..this really has to be stopped somehow.

if you have expierenced any of the above please leave your comments and what you would like to be done about it.

many thanks

BOBSYOURUNCLE
I have experienced balls moving by themselves numerous times too.

The incredibly annoying thing is when you pot a ball and the balls move around as you said but the potted ball mysteriously reappears and it's the opponents shot :|

Also i had an occasion where a perfectly legitimate shot was played, then suddenly balls rearranged and claimed the white ball was sunk :|

What are the actual explanations for this? Server lag? Bad programming? It's very annoying.

Another addition is the break off, anyone else played a break and as you hit the triangle of reds (or triangle of balls in 8 and 9 ball) the white ball comes off the pack everything just stops and it's the opponents shot with no siginificant break up of the triangle of balls ..

(it's as if something crashes when too many balls are about to move)
Points 1 and 2 are related to each other.

When you play a shot, calculations are made by the 2 players pc's to display the shot being played, with the same calculation being done by the FOD server.  99% of the time these all result in the same thing, but sometimes there is a slight difference (for a variety of reasons), and whenever their is a difference, then results from the players machines is disregarded, and the shot calculated by FOD is taken as the correct one, resulting in the glitch where the balls appear in different places etc.

THANK YOU VERIAC
                for clearing up points 1 + 2 however point 3 still remains to be solved. surely the computer programers can do this by possibly making the program detect what ball should be played (i.e a red at the appropriate time if a colour has been potted and the white comes to rest behind another colour creating a snooker or the correct colour if only colours left on the table) and when no contact is made 4 points and the value of each colour when on the colours only are awarded to the opponent and the balls reset,after 3 consecutive failures of hitting the ball in play the game should be awarded to the opponent.

BOBSYOURUNCLE
unfortunately, particularly with snooker any such modifications would not be able to detect the difference between a deliberate foul and someone who is perhaps trying to hit the correct ball by bouncing of multiple cushions.

In a real game the role of the umpire is to make the determination between a deliberate foul, and a failed attempt to actually hit the object ball. Since this is a simulation and the games do not have an umpire to do this, it is not really possible to do what you are asking.
SURELY THEY CAN PROGRAM IN SOMETHING WHERE YOU HAVE TO NOMINATE A COLOUR INSTEAD OF JUST PLAYING UP THE TABLE FOR A SAFETY ETC IF SNOOKERED ON THE COLOURS.... E.G IF YOU NOMINATE BLACK AND HIT YELLOW IT IS 7 POINTS INSTEAD OF 4 ..
JUST A THOUGHT 
CHRIS
true wot u are saying chris but if they are stuggling the would always nomitate a yellow and foul on purpose and it would still be 4