« Back to All Topics
Point/ranking oddity
Posted in 
Go
Point/ranking oddity
Posted in 
Go
Point/ranking oddity
I have noticed that when I play someone an I lose I lose 20 to 30 points? This seems to be wrong for I have seen others lose an not lose so much? What gives here? Am I being penalized for something? Doesn't seem fair if you ask me. I pay for subscription here an now it seems like I am being punished?? Why do I lose so much an others DON'T?? I just played someone an lost 39 POINTS. Never have I seen anyone else have that much taken from them. Please fix this issue or I am going to revoke my subscription. If you want people to pay to help then treat them fairly and don't pull BS like this. What is being done to me is not fair! I have abided by the rules an have not caused any issues??? Why the difference in point value/docking?? I play a low player (0 to 60) an I lose so much. I play anyone higher then me an I lose the same almost. PLUS when I do win it isn't as much as it was before. Not right here not right at all. PLEASE fix it.
Thank you. 
I believe it's got something to do with the rank of the person you are playing against. if you are ranked 100 and lose against a person ranked 80 you will lose less points than you would if you lost against a person ranked 0. I believe that the solution would be to play against stronger players...

That being said, points aren't really indicative of any level of skill here. A lot of people are ranked in the 100-200 range who play nothing but beginners (0-40 pts). I've also seen some players with grey shields who were stronger than yellow/orange shields. I would suggest you focus more on improving your ability to play rather than placing value on a number that really has no significance.

[Edited by: TCA NightWalker on Sep 19, 2012 10:52 AM]
Even though I already explained in lobby ( :) ) I will comment the rating system for everyone else and lock this topic.

http://www.flyordie.com/games/help/rating_system.html
 - it's described how the rating system works here. To make it sound a bit easier I will emphasize some important points of it.
If we have 2 players with equal score playing each other, one gets 16 points for a win and other one loses the same amount for a loss. When the ratings of players are different - what's important is rating difference - it influences 'We' parameter of main formula: 
- if you have less points than opponent your 'We' is less than 0.5, which means that 
you will get more than 16 points if you win (how much more depends on how big rating difference is). At the same time, if you lose - your rating decreases by less than 16
;
- if you have more points than opponent your 'We' is more than 0.5, thus 
you will get less than 16 points (again, depending on rating difference number) for a win. At the same time, you risk to lose more than 16 for a loss

To sum up, you can win more than 16 points or lose a bit less by playing stronger opponents; and you can win a bit less but lose more if you're playing a weaker opponent. Please note that what matters isn't the rating of your opponent, but 
rating difference
 between you two. I find this system quite fair, because winning against a stronger opponent is a harder task than winning against a weaker opponent, so you get a bigger prize for your efforts :p.
Regards,
TCA NightWalker
Languages
English
English
Cymraeg
Welsh
Deutsch
German
English
English
Indonesia