« Back to All Topics
Chess pieces.
Posted in 
Chess
Chess pieces.
Posted in 
Chess
Chess pieces.
The other day i played my first game of chess (on flyordie) I am just curious to know why flyordie have such weird shapes as the chess pieces and ask if they could change it to normal chess pieces. I now play chess on **************** (has some very good games like Literati:scrabble and other games such as Go, backgammon, chinese checkers, checkers, tetris etc.)only because i dislike the shape of the pieces. on yahoo chess, it is much easier to recognise which piece you are moving. Currently it is very hard to concentrate when you are constantly thinking what piece you are actually moving. Maybe some people have now got used to it but whats the point of having to get used to it when flyordie can just change the pieces and whilst doing so, improve the game. 

For example, the rook and the bishop look almostly identical. It is because of this that i almost lost my first game. During my first game i let my opponent take my rook with his/her knight in an exchange. I thought my rook was actually a bishop because the bishops and rooks in flyordie chess look identical. However, the i was wrong in thinking it was a bishop because it wasn't but was actually a rook. I lost out in the exchange. 

I ask if flyordie could change this and ask other members of flyordie what they think of this suggestion and if they had any problems when they first played chess on flyordie. If anyone did have any problems with the pieces when first playing flyordie chess, how long did it take for you to get to recognise each individual chess piece without thinking. 
You're right about the confusion of the chess pieces being identical and hard to tell them apart at first, especially the rooks and bishops being very similiar because of the roundish shape.  However,  when I started playing chess here I got over the similiarities and was able to tell the pieces apart pretty easily within 5 minutes of playing.  I don't think it's much of an issue.  Plus I like the way the pieces look.  They look different than the standard way pieces usually look and make the game a little more fun in my opinion.
Well, i have played some more games of chess since my first messsage about the shape of the chess pieces. Even though i am getting used to the shape of the chess pieces, i sometimes miss pieces which i wouldn't normally miss. The chess pieces needs more variety. They all look almost the same. I doubt if i will ever get more used to the pieces as i am now, and even now i am not entirely used to the pieces. There is no good reason that flyordie should not change to the pieces in which we are all familiar with. Maybe one could argue the pieces look better, though i disagree, the game of chess isn't about looks but about interlect. The way the game is at the moment does not test our chess ability but does test how familiar we are with these strange new chess pieces.
This thread was started years ago, Oct 2002. Why hasn't someone in Flyordie replied or given us a choice of standard pieces?
Initially, the chess peices are in fact an annoyance, ut I have now seemed to get used to them.

I think it would be a good idea to get subscribers to have a choiceof board and set, this would help more people to subscribe to chess as there is a real shortage of scribers in this game.

Thanks,
Bird.
can flyordie play with other chess pieces?
Hello JERRY1954
you can change the chess pieces by clicking the "gear icon" or Alt + C  while you're in the game.
please see screenshot:  --> 
https://rb.gy/x8n9my

Kind regards,
John
Languages
English
English
azərbaycan
Azerbaijani
bosanski
Bosnian
čeština